Monday, November 19, 2012

Maquech

       In an effort to get my creative juices flowing and foster good habits of productivity, I have set up a host of drawing prompts that I intend to tackle, perhaps even one every day. The first set of twenty was inspired by the TV show "Face Off," which is special effects version of "Project Runway:" crafts and creatures instead of sewing and clothing. Day one, the challenge was to somehow combine a human being and a beetle.

       It would be at this point that I would insert the finished drawing, but the pictures I took were horrid, so I will leave it to tomorrow to post.

       Anyway, as I was searching for inspiration, I can across the fascinating phenomenon of "maquech brooches." Popular today in Mexico, while simultaneously being a centuries-old tradition, maquech brooches are simply live beetles, anchored to the fashionable with little chain collars. This in and of itself would be a trend that I, with my unabashed love of insects and honest appreciation for their robot beauty, would champion, but unfortunately maquech beetles have to suffer glued-on jewels, and therefore become disappointingly tacky.

       There is a story that goes along with the tradition: Once upon a time there was a girl in love. Unfortunately, her family, and the family of her boyfriend, were mush less enthusiastic about the union than she was, and put a definitive end to her dreams of bliss. Heartbroken, the girl refused to eat or drink. Matters remained sadly suicidal until a magician, great of heart but apparently not of imagination or skill, turned the girl into a beetle, so she lived out the rest of her days happy, able to remain, incognito, by her love's heart.

       ...It is actually a terrible story, once you think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment